Thursday, July 3, 2008

Stirling Triathlon - 1st June 2008 - 1 hour 42 mins

Sorry,

I've been totally remiss in writing this damn thing. So for a quick catch up read on...

I became quite slack with my training but the day of the big race came and I still did it. It took longer than I thought and I was shattered at the end but it was worth it.

The swim was a joke - I'd put myself in quite a fast heat even though I'd not swam since Sydney. I should have put 18 mins as my time but I was in a 14 min heat and I got overtaken so many times that I spent more time hanging onto the side of the pool letting other folk pass me than I did actually swimming. I'll not make that mistake in the future! I was so slow that I ended up doing my last 4 laps by myself. Not only was I the only person left in my lane - I was also the only person left in the pool from my heat. The one consolation is that I got a big round of applause when I eventually got out.

The cycle was really nice and pleasant but as my group were over 3 minutes ahead of me there was no way that I was going to catch them. Infact, I didn't even see any of them so I had noone to chase. It meant that I had a nice leisurely cycle round the Stirling Country side which never felt like a race at any point (until a group of 5 guys from a later heat caught me just before I reached the run section).

The run was actually easier than I thought it was going to be. I think it had more to do with the fact that I had spent almost no energy in the previous 2 sections by going so slow than the fact that I'm a highly tuned triathlete!!! What did suck though was that the route was actually 2.5km and i required 2 loops to complete it. Therefore everyone had the agony of reaching the finish line but alas had another lap to do.

I crossed the line finally with a sprint finish which I was pleased with and I hadn't stopped at any point during the event. That was my real goal but I like to think that with a bit of training I'll be able to break 1:40 without a problem and if I really put my mind to it I'll get sub 90 mins at next year's event.

Anyway, that's where I'm up to at the moment. I'm still going to do a few 10km races this year and once I'm finally settled in Edinburgh I'll join a club or two and really try to get into it.

Here's hoping!

No comments: